The Pee Wee League is an educational program. The purpose is to teach the players the basics of baseball and sportsmanship.
(1) Length of the bases is 60 feet.
(2) All players bat each inning. Players are to remain in the same position in the batting order for the entire game.
(3) Games are to be 3 innings in length if time permits. A game is considered complete after 2 full innings.
(4) The coach or assistant coach for the team at bat will pitch to them while at bat. The pitching distance will be 25 feet. The coach or designated assistant will pitch 5 good underhanded pitches to each batter. If the batter is unsuccessful at this point in hitting the ball, they will be out. Older players moving on to the next league next year, upon the coach's discretion, may elect to have overhand pitches. This is only meant to ready the player for the next league.
(5) Coaches are to field all infield positions (1st, 2nd 3rd, SS) except catcher. Two players are permitted to play the "position" of pitcher-One is to cover home plate when there is a play at home. All other players are to be placed in the outfield (beyond the infield and base paths).
(6) All players are to wear helmets when batting and running the bases.
(7) One base on an overthrow unless the runner is played upon at the next base. NOTE: The runner is at his/her own risk and can be tagged out between bases. If no attempt is made on the runner they must stop at the next base.
(8) Play is stopped when the pitcher (Coach or player) has the ball and is on the mound/area of the mound
(9) Coaches and those appointed by the coach are allowed on the field when your team is on the field. This is to direct, educate & protect the players.
(10) No stealing. Runners cannot leave the base until the ball is hit.
(11) Bats, balls and helmets are provided by the league. A player may use their own bat provided it is acceptable to the coach and the league officials.
(12) The team that is assigned HOME TEAM will bat last and is responsible for getting the field ready prior to the start of game. If only one game is played or you are the last team to use the field it is your responsibility to put the equipment away afterwards.
(13) If a runner is more than 1/2 way to the next base when the pitcher gets the ball he/she is given the base. If the runner is not 1/2 way to the next base they must return to the previous base. Play is stopped when the runners are returning to the base and cannot be played upon.
(14) A runner is out if they run out of baseline to avoid a tag.
(15) A final play of the inning must be made on the final batter. Provided the batter makes a hit and the ball is fielded, the play continues until the batter is tagged out. The inning is not over until the batter strikes out, is tagged out while running the bases or makes a home run. Other runners that are on base for the final play of the inning may be played upon but the final batter is the only base runner that will end the inning. (Note: This is to get away from standing at home plate and tagging each runner as they cross the plate)
(16) The coach must keep his/her players out of the way of the base runners.
(17) Players should be taught to shake hands after each game.
(18) Eligibility for the pee-wee program will be based on the year of birth, not by age.
(19) Players will be reassigned to the same team next year if their registration forms are turned in before the deadline. All new players and those late in registering (who played last year) will be assigned to teams by discretion of league coordinator. Brothers and sisters of players will be assigned to the same team unless otherwise noted.
(20) Lines for the field must chalk (No Lime). The will be provided by the league and picked up at Westport.
(1).No obscene language or actions will be tolerated from anyone, including spectators. The penalty will be expulsion from, or delay of the game until corrected. If continued actions delay the game, the game will be forfeited. COACHES SHALL NOT USE TOBACCO OR TOBACCO-LIKE PRODUCTS during games or practice on or in the vicinity of the playing field.
(2).Teams will remain as previous year with new players drawn according to age. All players’ ages will be determined by YEAR of birth!
(3).Home team will chalk the playing field and ready the diamond. Lime is not to be used. Chalk will be provided by the league & picked up at Westport.
The home team coach is to decide if the diamond is playable (weather related).
(4) Players must wear helmets while batting and running the bases.
(5) Teams will be 10 men teams. (4 men outfields)
(6) Games played at lighted diamonds: No inning starts after 10:00 p.m. and the lights must be turn out at 10:30. This rule is not in effect during tourney games.
(7). Pitching Distance will be 46 feet. Base distance is 60 feet. Pitchers can only pitch in 3 innings of a ball game. When a pitcher is replaced during an inning or prior to an inning, the relief pitcher may not use more than 6 throws. At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up using not more than 4 throws.
(8). A regulation game will be 5 innings with 3 innings considered a complete game. Games rained out prior to 3 complete innings will be played from the beginning. (Except in the league tourney - 5 innings required unless the run rule stops the game. If rain comes after 3 completed innings, the game will resume where it was stopped.) The tourney will be played prior to the Decatur Co. Fair if possible.
(9). The infield fly rule will not be enforced.
(10). No steel spikes.
(11). If a third swing strike is missed and the catcher misses it, the batter is out.
(12). The Batting lineup will consist of all players present. Each player will play a minimum of one inning (3 outs) in the field. If a player is injured on the playing field and can not return to the game. When his/her time comes to bat, they will be by-passed with no out.
(13). When the offense line up bats around (10 bats), or three outs, whichever is first, the team takes to the field, except in the last inning three outs are required. A 10 run rule is in effect after the 4th inning is completed and a 15 run rule is in effect after the 3rd inning is completed. On the last batter of an inning, if walked the batter must go to first base.
(14). Teams must have 8 players to start the Game or will forfeit. It cannot be rescheduled or replayed.
(15) Batters must make an attempt to get out of the way of the ball.
(16) A runner can leave the base after the ball has passed the batter. This should be called by the base umpire. One base on an overthrow. No stealing home, must be batted in.
(17) No intentional walks. If a batter is walked, the ball is live and can advance if next base is open. Note the exception is with a hit batsman, because the ball is dead when the batter is hit.
(18) The home team will furnish the plate umpire and the visiting team will furnish the base umpire for league play. This applies also to games not played on your home diamond. Umpires must be at least 16 years of age.
(19) Votes for the "Bradley Maddux Award" must be called into the league coordinator after each game. If you fail to call in your vote, the vote for your team will not be counted. Make sure your vote is for sportsmanship and mental attitude not just ability.
(20) For the safety of all players no jewelry (necklace, earrings) will be worn during the game.
(21) Players must wear the issued DCYB hats [or none]. No other hat will be permitted.
(22) Only rulings as to rule interpretation by the umpires may be questioned, and then only by the head coach. Judgment calls are not to be questioned!
(23) Bunting is permitted.
(24) Bats must be metal and 2 5/8 inches or less at its thickest part and 35 inches or less in length. The weight of any personal bats must be a least a
-10 (example, a 35 inch bat must weight at least 25 oz.) a -11 is illegal.
(25) A pitcher that hits (2) batsman in same inning is to be removed from pitching that inning. He or she can return next inning if eligible. A pitched ball that bounces on the ground and then hits the batter is considered a hit batsman.
(26) At lighted diamonds: First game - No inning can start after 7:30 p.m. if second game is scheduled (Game will be considered complete) Note: This rule is not in effect for tourney games.
(27) Score keepers are to check books after each inning; any discrepancy home team book is official.
(28) Coaches and teams are to clean up dug outs after each game.
The purpose of Decatur County Youth Baseball (DCYB) is to provide the youth of Decatur County, the opportunity to participate in a controlled athletic competition, to install good sportsmanship, values of fair play and good conduct, to promote tolerance between youth through their common interest, to encourage adults to behave in an exemplary manner when supervising youth while keeping the welfare of youth foremost and free from any adult compulsion for power and glory.
(1) NO OBSCENE LANGUAGE OR ACTIONS WILL BE TOLERATED FROM ANYONE, INCLUDING SPECTATORS. The penalty will be expulsion from, or delay of the game until corrected. If continued actions delay the game, the game will be forfeited.
(2) COACHES SHALL NOT USE TOBACCO OR TOBACCO-LIKE PRODUCTS during games or practice on or in the vicinity of the playing field.
(3) We will play high school rules with the exceptions noted on this page.
(4) Players will wear helmets while batting & running bases.
(5) For the safety of all players no jewelry is to be worn.
(6) Distance between the bases will be 75 feet with a 54 feet pitching distance.
(7) A regulation game is 6 innings with 4 innings being a complete game. Games rained out prior to 4 complete innings will be played over from the beginning.
(Except in the league tourney - 6 innings required unless the run rule stops the game. If rain comes after 4 completed innings, the game will resume where it was stopped.)
(8) At lighted diamonds there is a 2 hour time limit from 6:00 start time if second game is scheduled. On second game No inning will start after 10:00 and the lights must be out at 10:30 p.m.
(9) Runners may leave the base when the ball leaves the pitchers hand. If the runner leaves the base early the runner is out and the ball is dead.
(10) Pitchers may pitch in 4 innings only per game. One pitch will constitute an appearance in an inning. The starting pitchers may warm up by not using more than 6 throws. When a pitcher is replaced during an inning or prior to an inning, the relief pitcher may not use more than 6 throws. At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up using not more than 4 throws.
(11) Third strike is out even if the catcher misses the ball.
(12) No balk is called in major league. Ball is dead and no one out.
(13) The batting lineup will consist of all players present. Each player will play a minimum of one inning (3 outs) in the field. If a player is injured on the field and cannot return to the game, when it is his/her time to bat, they will be by-passed with no out.
(14) A game will be called if a team is ahead 15 runs after 4 innings of play or 10 runs after 5 innings of play.
(15) No steel spikes.
(16) Teams must have 8 players to start a game. Teams will be given 10 minutes to field 8 players or forfeit. Teams can field 10 player teams with the additional player in the outfield.
(17) Players must wear the issued DCYB hats [or none]. No other hat will be permitted.
(18) Bats must be metal and 2 5/8 inches or less at its thickest part and 36 inches or less in length. The weight of any personal bat shall not weigh, numerically, more than 5 ounces (-5) less than the length of the bat (example, a 35 inch bat cannot be less than 30 ounces).
(19) A pitcher that hits (2) batsman in the same inning is to be removed from pitching that inning. He or she can return the next inning if eligible.
(20) Only DCYB issued baseballs will be used during the games. No other baseballs (e.g. IHSAA/High School) will be permitted.
(21) Game results must be phoned to the league coordinator.
(22) Home team will make the field ready for play. Chalk will be used to make the infield lines. NO LIME is to be used! Chalk will be furnished by the league and can be picked up at Westport. The home team will furnish the plate umpire and the visiting team will furnish the base umpire for league play. This applies also to games not played on your home diamond. Umpires must be at least 16 years of age. The Home team coach is to decide if the diamond is playable (weather related).